When all of the children were at home I loved Christmas. We had a real tree and I spent hours making presents and home made food.
Now they are all grown and not living that close I don't have that same feeling for it.
Things generally are just not the same as they used to be.
It seems to me to be a greedy time of too much food and high expectations of expensive presents for most people, and who can blame them when we are constantly bombarded with adverts telling us what a great time we should have and how if we don't have a pile of pressies to open then we are hard done by.
I'm going back now to the late 50's early 60's when a chicken was thought of as a treat. My Dad's brother kept chickens and always gave us one each year, only trouble was that it came complete and we had to pluck and dress the thing, I can recall sitting on the step down into the kitchen pulling all of the feathers out, that was our christmas meat together with a hand of pork. My Mum saved all year round in several christmas clubs and 2 weeks before the event she would go around to each shop and buy the food, chocolates and alcohol.
There was just enough for the 2 days of christmas and I can still recall the smell of the box of fruit that sat in the back room until christmas eve.
Post was coming throught the door at all times of the day with extra staff bought in for the heavy amount of cards. Christmas cards sere picked out individually and sent with thought, usually a nativity scene or a snow scene with glitter.
Maybe I'm just getting all nostalgic for the past but I just think that its a shame the simplicity of it all has gone out of the window.
I'm going back now to the late 50's early 60's when a chicken was thought of as a treat. My Dad's brother kept chickens and always gave us one each year, only trouble was that it came complete and we had to pluck and dress the thing, I can recall sitting on the step down into the kitchen pulling all of the feathers out, that was our christmas meat together with a hand of pork. My Mum saved all year round in several christmas clubs and 2 weeks before the event she would go around to each shop and buy the food, chocolates and alcohol.
There was just enough for the 2 days of christmas and I can still recall the smell of the box of fruit that sat in the back room until christmas eve.
Post was coming throught the door at all times of the day with extra staff bought in for the heavy amount of cards. Christmas cards sere picked out individually and sent with thought, usually a nativity scene or a snow scene with glitter.
Maybe I'm just getting all nostalgic for the past but I just think that its a shame the simplicity of it all has gone out of the window.
0 Yorumlar